Coffee beans are grown in within an area known as the bean belt,’ which is roughly bound by the tropic of cancer to the north, and tropic of Capricorn to the south. The best growing areas offer moderate sunlight and rain, steady temperatures of around 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and rich soil. Of the two types of coffee trees grown, the Arabica accounts for nearly 70% of total harvest while the Robusta, a hardier plant that produces lower quality beans, makes up the remaining 30%. Here are the top ten coffee producing regions.
The leading producer of coffee beans, Brazil accounts for nearly 30% of the world’s supply of coffee, producing approximately 22.5 million bags per year. Because Brazil is a top producer, some coffee enthusiasts fear that Brazil’s emphasis on quantity leads to decreased quality; however, some regions in Brazil do offer a finer variety like the Bourbon Santos, which is highly sought after. A producer since the 18th century, Brazil grows mostly Arabica coffee trees, and is the only growing region subject to occasional frost.